Publications about StoryPlaces
The following are publications that are related to the StoryPlaces system.
- Spawforth, Callum and Millard, David (2017) A framework for multi-participant narratives based on multiplayer game interactions, In Proceedings of the International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling. Springer.
Outcomes of the Original StoryPlaces Project
The following papers directly describe the design, work, and outcomes of the original Leverhulme project:
- Millard, David, West-Taylor, Charlie, Howard, Yvonne, Packer, Heather (2018) The Ideal ReaderBot: Machine Readers and Narrative Analytics. In the Narrative and Hypertext Workshop 2018 (In press).
- Hargood, Charlie, Charles, Fred, Millard, David (2018a) Intelligent Generative Locative Hyperstructure, ACM Hypertext 2018 Blue Skies Track. At ACM Hypertext 2018, Baltimore, Maryland. (In press)
- Hargood, Charlie, Weal, Mark, and Millard, David. StoryPlaces (2018b) The StoryPlaces Platform: Building a Web-Based Locative Hypertext System. At ACM Hypertext 2018, Baltimore, Maryland. (In press)
- Packer, Heather, Hargood, Charlie, Howard, Yvonne, Papadopoulos, Petros and Millard, David (2017) Developing a Writer’s Toolkit for interactive locative storytelling, In Proceedings of the International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling. Springer.
- Millard, David, Hargood, Charlie, Howard, Yvonne and Hunt, Verity J. (2017) Snowflakes in Scotland: The role of personal reflection in exploring digital poetics and locative stories, At MIX 2017, Bath, United Kingdom. 10 - 12 Jul 2017.
- Millard, David and Hargood, Charlie (2017) Tiree tales: a co-operative inquiry into the poetics of location-based narratives, At ACM Hypertext 2017, Prague, Czech Republic. 10 pp. (doi:10.1145/3078714.3078716).
- Millard, David and Hargood, Charlie (2016) 'Location Location Location: Experiences of Authoring an Interactive Location-based Narrative'. At 9th International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling
- Hargood, Charlie, Hunt, Verity, Weal, Mark and Millard, David (2016) Patterns of sculptural hypertext in location based narratives. In, 27th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media, Halifax, CA, 10 - 13 Jul 2016. (Winner of the Engelbart Best Paper Award).
- V Hunt, ‘Story-Places: the Poetics of Location-Based Fiction: a New Language and a New Mode for Reading and Writing the City?’ In, The 24th Annual Conference of the Society for the History of Authorship, Reading & Publishing (SHARP), Paris, 18-21 July 2016.
- V Hunt, ‘Digital Stories of a Victorian SeaCity: location-aware historical fiction set around Southampton Old Town and Docks’ In, The Annual Conference of The British Association for Victorian Studies (BAVS), Cardiff, 31 Aug-2 Sept 2016.
- Tory L. Dawson, ‘Locating Digital Fiction in Victorian Southampton’, The Writing Platform, (21 June 2016).
- Millard, David and Hargood, Charlie (2015) A Research Framework for Engineering Location-Based Poetics. In, Narrative and Hypertext Workshop, held in conjunction with ACM Hypertext 2015
Relevant Previous Publications
The following papers and books describe work undertaken by the StoryPlaces team prior to StoryPlaces that were directly relevant to the original StoryPlaces project:
- Hunt, V. "A Present from the Crystal Palace": Souvenirs of Sydenham, Miniature Views and Material Memory’, in, After 1851: The material and visual cultures of the Crystal Palace of Sydenham, ed. by Kate Nichols and Sarah Turner (Manchester: Manchester University Press, forthcoming 2016) [In Press]
- Millard, David, Hargood, Charlie, Jewell, Michael O. and Weal, Mark J. (2013) Canyons, deltas and plains: towards a unified sculptural model of location-based hypertext. In, ACM Hypertext 2013, 01 - 02 May 2013. , 1-10.
- Hoare, P. The Sea Inside, Fourth Estate, 2013
- Hargood, Charlie, Davies, Rosamund, Millard, David, Taylor, Matt and Brooker, Samuel (2012) Exploring (the poetics of) strange (and fractal) hypertexts. In, Proceedings of the 23rd ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media. 23rd ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media New York, US, Association for Computing Machinery.
- Hunt, V. ‘Narrativizing “The World’s Show”: The Great Exhibition, Panoramic Views and Print Supplements’ in, Popular Exhibitions, Science and Showmanship 1840-1910, ed. by Joe Kember, John Plunkett and Jill Sullivan (London: Pickering & Chatto, 2012) pp.115-132.
- Millard, David, Howard, Yvonne, Gilbert, Lester and Wills, Gary (2009) Co-design and Co-deployment Methodologies for Innovative m-Learning Systems. In, Multiplatform E-Learning Systems and Technologies: Mobile Devices for Ubiquitous ICT-Based Education. , IGI Global.
- Hoare, P. Leviathan or, The Whale, Fourth Estate, 2008
- Millard, David E., De Roure, David C., Michaelides, Danius T., Thompson, Mark K. and Weal, Mark J. (2004) Navigational Hypertext Models For Physical Hypermedia Environments. In, Hypertext 2004. The Fifteenth ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia, Santa Cruz, CA, USA, 09 - 13 Aug 2004. , 110-111.
- Hoare, P. England's Lost Eden: Adventures in a Victorian Utopia, Fourth Estate, 2004
- Weal, Mark J., Bernstein, Mark and Millard, David E. (2002) On Writing Sculptural Hypertext. The Thirteenth ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia, Maryland, USA, ACM Press, 65-66.
- Weal, Mark J., Millard, David E., Michaelides, Danius T. and Roure, David C. De (2001) Building Narrative Structures Using Context Based Linking. In Hypertext '01. Proceddings of the Twelfth ACM conference on Hypertext, Aarhus, Denmark. , 37-38.
- Hoare, P. Spike Island: The Memory of a Military Hospital, Fourth Estate, 2000